Nutrition Awareness in your kitchen
A live online course in three parts
With Vaidya Sankar Sreelal and Vaidya Poornima Sreelal, Ayurveda experts from Kerala, India
Part 1 – Saturday 11 November – Saturday 16 December 2023
Part 2 – Saturday 20 January – Saturday 24 February 2024
Part 3 – Saturday 9 March – Saturday 13 Arpil 2024
Free Online presentation – Saturday 4 November 2023, 13 January & 2 March 2024
from 8.00 to 9.30 AM Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Individual parts: £87 each, All three parts: £240
This course explores the health potential of daily nutrition. Through observation of the effects of each food item for generations, Ayurveda offers time proven wisdom for a balanced and healthy diet.
Presenting viewpoints of contemporary science will help to better understand and apply this wisdom in day-to-day life.
Dr Sankar & Poornima Sreelal
Vaidya Sankar Sreelal
Dr. Sankar Sreelal was born in a traditional Ayurveda practitioner’s family in Kerala. Apart from clinical practice, because of his analytical approach, he’s interested in applying IT in Ayurveda. He did his post-graduate work in bioinformatics.
Vaidya Poornima Sreelal
Dr. Poornima Sreelal is a leading Ayurvedic dietary consultant. She comes from a traditional healer’s family. After her graduation in Ayurveda, she specialized in Clinical nutrition and dietetics. She works on applied nutrition for curative purposes.
Part 1: Cereals, Pulses and Spices – A detailed presentation of mainly solid food groups like cereals, pulses, spices, their properties and uses.
Saturday 11 November 2023
- Introduction to Ayurvedic dietary principles.
- Factors to be considered in deciding on one’s diet.
- Classification of food items in Ayurveda.
Saturday 18 & 25 November 2023
- The properties of different cereals as per Ayurveda and modern concepts.
- Nutraceutical use of cereals and recipes for proper utilisation.
- Ideal time and other considerations for eating particular cereals.
Saturday 2 December 2023
- Pulses, their benefits and uses according to Ayurveda.
- Special focus on pulses which are commonly used in Europe.
- Sample recipes and considerations for using different combinations depending on the individual
Saturday 9 & 16 December 2023
- Spices and condiments to improve the absorption of nutrients. Discussing both Indian spices and those
commonly used in Europe.
- Physiological and medicinal properties and sample recipes.
- How can spices be harmful?
Saturday 20 & 27 January 2024
- Common vegetables and their properties.
- Recipes with the understanding of their nutraceutical properties according to the personal health
condition, the season etc
- Discussing some common vegetables used in Europe.
Saturday 3 & 10 February 2024
- Is dairy good or bad ? Ayurvedic views on different sources of milk, their derivatives and
- Is milk good for all ages? Processing and use of different milks and milk products based on age
- Ayurvedic view points on vegan milk and for whom it is ideally suited.
Saturday 17 February 2024
- How to use fruits fruitfully? Properties and uses of different fruits.
- Can we eat all fruits in every season?
- Do all fruits aid digestion?
Saturday 24 February 2024
- Are fats and oils good? How to choose the right fats based on your health.
- Do we need to drink large quantities of water? Is water a detoxifier? Ayurveda classifications of
drinking water and how to drink it depending on constitution, digestive fire and season.
- Magical herbs and supplements – do they exist ? How to choose the right herbs; Rasayana drugs — simple
herbs for health.
Saturday 9 March 2024
- Guidelines on what, when and how much to eat based on different conditions like day, season, digestive
Saturday 16 & 23 March 2024
- Do we need to cut the fat and calories for children and elderly people? Diet according age groups:
childhood, teen age, youth and wisdom period.
- The right food based on Ayurvedic physiology.
Saturday 30 March & 6 April 2024
- Do you need to feed the fever or fast the fever? How to decide for common health issues like indigestion,
diarrhoea, fever, cold, etc.
- Choosing diet for metabolic diseases.
- Kitchen remedies – the herbaceuticals at home.
Saturday 13 April 2024
- Minding you food – the influence of the mind on choosing food and how it affects your health.
- Diet choices based Mind types.
- Understanding the “foods” of sensory organs. How does Ayurveda consider sensory perceptions through sense
organs as ‘food’?